Friday, June 18, 2010

quiet friday


This morning was too quiet. I went to the newspaper office assuming that I'd be put to work, since the only thing that I had to do today wasn't until 7 p.m., but I was wrong and was instead asked why I came in so early, ha ha! So I read the newspaper, read it online, read other papers online, checked out yahoo and google news, read comments, did more research for my interview, and the interview I have next week, took a long lunch, wrote in my planner, I hope you're getting the picture. Everyone even had to leave the office for a little while to take their staff photo, so I manned the empty newsroom too. Around 4:30 p.m. we got some excitement, although I would have preferred staying bored instead of crowding around the police scanner to hear that a woman shot and killed her husband. After they said the address of the location, the staff went into a frenzy and the photographer was running out the door, followed by a reporter, followed by an editor with an extra camera. The rest of us continued to listen to the scanner. It was very sad to hear that the man was not breathing and had no pulse. When things quieted down I left for the day and came home to grab my laptop for my interview. I interviewed a really nice man today, along with 3 friends/board members he is starting a non-profit organization with. He has started working with rural schools in the Philippines to get them necessary school supplies so that they can receive a better education. He talked about people in America taking things like textbooks and computers for granted and showed me pictures of the children and their schools. He and his board members told me all about the work they've done so far and all the work they have left and it was very inspiring. They were all so nice and the time flew as we talked. I left the interview very eager to write the story. When I got home I hung out with my summer family and some of their friends and turned in my first weekly log to my professor of everything I did each day. The first week is down, only 9 left!

No comments:

Post a Comment