Monday, June 14, 2010

First day at the paper




Today was the first day of my 10-week internship at the Kitsap Sun. I didn't have to be there until 11 a.m., so I finally unpacked this morning! When I got to the office I was greeted by the assistant local news editor, who is in charge of both myself and the paper until the editor and my supervisor get back from vacation. He introduced me to the staff and gave me a tour of the building and I also took the picture for my ID badge! After learning about my computer and the different programs they use, they sent me to get drug tested! It was the first time I had to pee in a cup, ha ha! The news editor said that after I took my test I should go explore the city and surrounding areas and some of the staff suggested a couple of spots I should check out. The first was the Silverdale Waterfront Park. It was a little overcast today, but still had pretty views! The beaches and the smell of the saltwater of course reminded me of Corpus. The second place was Samudra, a yoga studio/coffee shop. It was really neat and so close to the house, so I think I may have found a new spot to hang out. After my exploring I went back to the newspaper to learn about a few other programs on my computer and to read through online archives. I also got to sit in on a budget meeting where the editors decided what articles would be in the paper tomorrow. I came home and had some pizza with my summer family and after this post I'll start working on the assignments I have that allow me to get credit for the internship. Today was such a good day and the staff is so sweet and welcoming. I am so excited for the next 10 weeks and to finally start writing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Boo its sounds wonderful especially the yoga/coffee house i bet its so cool and laid back ! i can see you there everyday ! you will do great things there and for the newspaper!!!
    Love You Mom !

    ReplyDelete