Tuesday, June 15, 2010

First assignment




I wasn't expecting to be writing so soon, but I got my first assignment today! A few months ago the city received a grant to place art in one specific area. They put several pieces in a park and have plans to place more pieces along a street that will connect to another park. The latest sculptures being installed cost $250,000 and there was a lot of controversy over that, as well as the art not being created by local artists. All controversy aside, the first sculptures along the street were installed today and it was my job to get opinions about them! The sculptures stand on opposite corners and are a fish reeling in a fisherman. It's pretty funny, and I think it makes an interesting addition to the street. Even though they were at a high cost, had the city not used the money, it probably would have been spent on something similar somewhere else. I was nervous to go find people to talk to, but I was more excited about starting my first assignment. After I gathered my quotes and took a few of my own pictures, I headed back to start writing! It didn't take very long to finish and my editor was happy with it, so that was a relief! After I was done I started researching my next 3 (!!!) assignments! Each one of them is pretty unique and I'm excited about all them! My supervisor said that the staff usually gets caught up with their regular beats and assignments, so the more interesting stories go to interns. I'm happy that I'm the only intern! I got to leave around 7 p.m. and when I walked outside it was raining! It had been pretty dark this afternoon, so it may be time to start carrying my poncho around, ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment