Sunday, June 13, 2010

first weekend



The last two days have been very interesting. On Saturday morning dad and I attempted to look for Mexican food, but got pancakes after 3 failed attempts. We ran some errands to get a few things I'd forgotten and then took the ferry to Seattle! The ferry was so different from any other ferry dad or I had been on. We got to walk around the different levels and had the choice of sitting inside or outside while we made the hour-long trip. The water was so gorgeous, especially with the mountains in the background. Dad kept reminding me how lucky I was to be spending the summer in such awesome scenery. Once we got into Seattle we headed for the Space Needle and waited in line to go more than 600 ft up. Even though dad is afraid of heights, he really liked it once we got to the top and looked over the entire city. After we rode the elevator down, we started walking to a Jimmy John's that was supposed to be a few blocks up. Of course, after way more than a few blocks it wasn't there, and when we finally found one on the next block over, it was closed! So we walked back to the car and stopped at Wendy's. Dad laughed about our last meal together being in the car, just like most of the meals on our drive up here. After getting lost a few times, we eventually made it out of Seattle and got back in time to take a short nap before it was time to drop dad off at the airport shuttle. I dropped dad off around 2:30 a.m. and managed to hug him goodbye and promise I'd be alright without crying. Of course, I cried as soon as a I drove away. I fell asleep pretty quickly and by the time I woke up dad was already boarding his second plane home. So I'm officially alone today and wasn't really sure what to do with myself. I drove around the city, got some lunch and found a Barnes & Noble. I bought 2 books and went to a park around the corner to read for a little while. The park was so busy with so many people! But I read my books and looked at the water, which has the same comforting smell as Corpus. I came back to the house and fell asleep for a little while and now I'm not sure what to do, again. I still haven't unpacked, so I guess I'll do that and get ready for my first day of work! I'm feeling a little homesick and I'm really missing my parents and siblings, but hopefully working at the newspaper will alleviate some of that.

5 comments:

  1. ahh Jen sounds wonderful! and it will be so much fun tomorrow,I know you will enjoy your new job!and I love the posts you are writing,so proud of you,and thanks for making my dreams come true,you are truly a journalist,sleep tight tonight sweetie!!from auntie lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you reading??? books yay.
    don't be lonely your fam is there is spirit!

    :) yay new places are exciting

    ReplyDelete
  3. The history of love, by Nicole Krauss and Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach :) this old man who worked at B&N said I would really really love the Seagull book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey its all good ! this is an adventure of a lifetime im so proud of you for all that you are and all that you will become in the future!
    I love you my sweet girl ! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill and I are so excited for you. We are enjoying following your experience. Love you!

    ReplyDelete