Wednesday, July 14, 2010

tribes and newsstands



Today you get a double update! On Tuesday I didn't have to be at the paper until 2 p.m, so I slept late and bought a new book. I was only at the newspaper office for a few minutes before I was on my way to a S'klallam tribal event with the photographer and videographer. They gave me some background information on the way to the reservation, basically explaining that tribes from Washington, Oregon and Canada gather every year to make a canoe journey. They spend weeks in their canoes, stopping at different reservations along the way to rest and eat before they start paddling again. It ends with a 4-day celebration. When we got there I was a little overwhelmed because I still felt like I didn't have a good understanding of the whole thing. Luckily, I found some patient tribal elders who explained everything in detail. We stayed for a few hours and were on our way to write and edit. I finished the article and got to leave around 8 p.m. and then realized that I didn't take any of my own pictures! I'm including the link below. Today I started to work on an assignment about a famous photographer in the area, but was redirected to a last-minute story. Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of the Kitsap Sun, so there are lots of different events going on. One event was getting local artists signed up for a contest. 10 artists were each given a standard newsstand and were told to redesign it. I went back and forth between the office and the gallery the stands are being displayed at all day. I watched people unload them, looked at all the different designs and interviewed some of the artists. Tomorrow night they'll announce the winner. I left for the day and went to yoga and now, I'm ready for bed!

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jul/13/sklallams-play-host-as-paddlers-take-a-break/

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/jul/14/newspaper-boxes-become-works-of-art/

No comments:

Post a Comment