Friday, July 16, 2010

halfway


I am halfway done with my internship today! It's been 5 weeks and I've got 5 more to go. I can't believe that it's the middle of July, I feel like it was yesterday that I was taking finals and packing up my apartment. However, time is passing and I think the next 5 weeks will fly. This morning I got up and drove to Belfair to meet Ulvis Alberts. I was nervous about meeting him, but after a few minutes I was excited to be talking to someone so eccentric. His house was covered in photos, some he took, but most others took. He had bookshelves with tons and photography books, including the few he published, and stacks of CDs. There were baskets of records and it seemed like every window ledge had some sort of cool knickknack on it. The entire back of the house had big windows that faced a gorgeous lake. He sat in a directors chair and wore all black and a beret as we talked. He told me about coming to America from Latvia in the 50s and about photographing tons and tons of celebrities. It was amazing to see all the photos he'd taken and hear about everything he'd done and his future projects. After the interview I had to take my own photos of him, which I was really nervous about. Luckily, he gave me some pointers and thankfully liked the ones I took. He sent me back with posters and a couple of his prints that were all signed. When I was finally on my way back to the office, I couldn't believe that I'd spent three hours talking with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment